Bishops have a choice of role: traditional bridgebuilder or modernist synodalist

Being there for people as a bridge builder



Bishop Benno Elbs in the big KirchenBlatt interview on the occasion of his 10th anniversary of consecration.

On 30 June 2013 - ten years ago - Benno Elbs was consecrated Bishop of Feldkirch. In the KirchenBlatt interview, the Vorarlberg church leader looks back with gratitude on the past decade, gives private insights and comments on current topics.

What makes Bishop Benno Elbs tick in private? Do you also consciously try to distance yourself from the Church in your "free time"?

Bishop Benno Elbs: Even during my studies, I looked for areas outside the Church in my leisure time. For me personally, contrasts - for mental health - are very important.  (Cathcon: the Bishop is a qualified psychotherapist)

Contrast is important for personal life, but also as a priest or bishop I think it is important to get out of your own bubble and go to other places. Due to my origins, I am closely connected with agriculture. This is also an area where worries that one has theologically, but also organisationally, are quickly put into perspective, because when you are dealing with animals, you reflect on the fundamental things in life. Even though there is hardly any time for hobbies, music is another area that is important to me. I like Tina Turner, who has unfortunately passed away, or Elton John. But I also maintain good contact with many local artists. I do sport primarily for health reasons. On the other hand, I like to attend sporting events. It gives me the opportunity to immerse myself in another world for a few hours.

Could you have imagined a life beyond the three ordinations - deacon, priest, bishop?

Bishop Elbs: If I had not become a priest, it is very likely that I would be a doctor or psychotherapist today. There have certainly been thoughts in this direction. That was also the reason why I was involved with the ambulance service as a paramedic during my entire time as a student. I was always interested in a helping profession. I wanted to do something meaningful and something for people. Through my relationship with God, I came to the conclusion that in the priesthood I could combine all this well.

How would you describe life as a bishop?

Bishop Elbs: Life as a bishop is a life in the present. Unfortunately, many things are over quickly because I don't have time to reflect on them. In this respect, I try to live meaningfully and happily in the here and now.

What were your personal highlights in these ten years as Bishop of Feldkirch?

Bishop Elbs: That's a question that can't really be answered. It is a stringing together of many extremely touching and beautiful moments. Which is the most beautiful? A moment that touches your heart, that even causes tears? Basically, they are all moments that cannot be surpassed. I think of baptisms, confirmation services, funerals, visits to prisons or personal conversations. On a diocesan level, of course, the diocesan jubilee stands out as a great celebration of faith. On the international level, it was the Synod on the Family, where I was in close contact with Pope Francis as the representative of the Austrian Bishops' Conference.

How will the Catholic Church in Vorarlberg be structured in 2035, when you will submit your resignation to the current Pope at the age of 75 in accordance with Canon Law?

Bishop Elbs: In the years that I have been a priest, so much has already changed. There have been break-offs, but also new commitments or more intensive paths of faith. In this respect, looking into the future is completely unpredictable. Jozef De Kesel, a cardinal friend from Brussels, which is much more advanced in terms of secularisation, has written a book on the future of the Church. In it he lists four main points: The Church will be smaller, more confessional, it must be hospitable to all and more humble. It is possible that in 15 years we will be where Brussels is now. In any case, I firmly believe in the work of God's Spirit. The basic hope is that many people will be able to live a good relationship with Jesus Christ and that they will be able to live a meaningful, happy life, or as Jesus puts it "A life in fullness". Of course, it would be nice for the Diocese of Feldkirch to contribute to this.

Cathcon: The sources of secularisation come not just from outside the Church but inside.

What would you like the faithful of the Diocese of Feldkirch and all the people of Vorarlberg to remember when - let's say - they look back on your time as Bishop of Feldkirch in 2050?

Bishop Elbs: I would be happy if people who are/were in contact with me found their way into a relationship with God and if they say: "He actually did a pretty good job." That would be enough for me. I always have the image of the Isenheim Altar in my mind, with John pointing an expressively long index finger at Jesus Christ. Ultimately, that's the job of a priest or bishop: to point to Christ or to help people keep their eyes on God.

"If I hadn't become a priest, I'd probably be a doctor or a psychiatrist today."

As a layman, how can you imagine the appointment of the Bishop of Feldkirch in terms of canonical procedures?

Bishop Elbs: In terms of canon law, if a bishop resigns, the Nuncio, as the Vatican's ambassador, is commissioned to draw up a three-way proposal through interviews. This goes to the Dicastery for Bishops in Rome. There the proposal is examined and submitted to the Pope, who finally makes the choice. In my case, I was informed by the nuncio on 2 May 2013. I was then given a short time to think about it. Wednesday, 8 May, was set as the official date of appointment.

How did you experience the appointment on 8 May 2013 and the consecration on 30 June 2013 as Bishop of Feldkirch?

Bishop Elbs: I was surprised by the Holy Father's request that I become Bishop of Feldkirch. Even though I was an administrator before, I honestly did not expect it. I am the first German-speaking Bishop appointed by Pope Francis.

Psychotherapy instead of confession, ritual counselling instead of administering the Sacraments. Why does today's society need God and the Church at all?

Bishop Elbs: There are essentially two things: One thing is the image of man. Following Viktor Frankl, as a psychologist I assume that man in principle also has a spiritual dimension and that man in his innermost being is potentially also religious. Religion, as Sigmund Freud claimed, is not a neurosis or a disease, but, in my view, is an essential part of the meaning, the happiness, the existential of the human being. If this is so, then religion is needed or will always exist. It has been shown that the thesis that religion is disappearing is simply wrong. The opposite is the case. What is changing is the social shape. Perhaps many are no longer Catholic. There is so much that is spiritual or religious, and for me that is very much connected to the image of man.

The other is the social aspect. At a recent HotSpotTalk, Andreas Altman from the MC (Management Center) Innsbruck spoke of how many people would like to destroy religion or the Church. And he, as an economist, asked himself the question: Who will then fill the vacuum? When the church disappears, a vacuum is created into which extremisms, divisive tendencies or fanatical ideologies proliferate. In this context, I remember Heinrich Böll, who once said that he would rather have the worst Christianity than the best paganism, because in Christianity there is also room for the poor, the sick or the dying. And that is precisely the point. When religion disappears, a great resource for humanity and charity disappears. The sociologist and best-selling author Hartmut Rosa says: Democracy needs religion. He justifies this as follows: The essence of religion is that people are listeners and open themselves to others. The world will not survive an ego mania. In summary, this means that religion is needed in both personal and social interaction.

Since 1995, about 50,000 people in Vorarlberg have left the church. The ranks of churchgoers have thinned out rapidly - accelerated by Corona. The shortage of priests, probably also due to a shortage of believers, has also long since become a comprehensive shortage of skilled workers in the Church. There is a lack of pastoral assistants, teachers and full-time sacristans. Are there also moments when you yourself threaten to despair of the situation of the Church?

Bishop Elbs: No. Of course I worry about it, but I also firmly believe in what is written on my bishop's ring: "Commit your way to the Lord and trust in him, he will bring it about". (Ps 37:5) I do not believe that the world in Vorarlberg is worse today than it was 20 years ago. The social shape is changing and that is a concern, no question, but I do not despair because I know that this is the Church of Jesus Christ and I am convinced that the Spirit of God is on the way with us. What I can do is proclaim the Gospel with joy and hope and also know that, as Hilde Domin says, it blossoms behind you. Biblically speaking, I want to sow, just like the sower in the biblical parable. (Mark 4:1-9)

Blessing young people on Instagram, discussing with young people at HotSpotTalks, retreats for young people. Is dealing with young people a special charism of yours?

Bishop Elbs: I cannot judge whether it is a charism. In any case, it is very important to me. When I receive requests from young people, I always accept if I can. I experience a lot of openness and goodwill among young people. I have the feeling that I have good access to young people - also because of the bishop's bonus. That's why I like to take the time, because that is also my absolute priority as far as the target group is concerned.

"When religion disappears, a great resource for humanity and neighbourliness disappears."

Keyword: target group. It is known from the Sinus Milieu Study that society is becoming more and more fragmented. Wing battles between left and right have become rearguard actions of the (grand)parents' generation and show the epochal break to the coming generations. As a bishop, do you see yourself as a bridge builder between the generations, between church and non-church milieus?

Bishop Elbs: Yes, I do indeed see the office of bishop as a bridge-builder. The Apostle Paul says that the Church is to be seen as a body - with very different members. The bishop has the task of moderating all this. Or as the Pope puts it: sometimes leading, sometimes in the middle and sometimes following. In the end, the decisive thing is that we orient ourselves to Christ. I disagree with the Sinus Milieu study in that it may be true for Sunday services, but not for the majority of events I attend. At a funeral, a baptism, a wedding or a confirmation, but also in prison or in hospital, I meet all milieus. Based on this study, I have to make sure that I consciously go into other areas. Whether I then address them is another question again.

With what feeling would you, in agreement with the Bishop of Rome, ordain married men as priests and women as deacons? Don't the attempts at gender equality in the Catholic Church come at least three generations too late or do they currently go far enough for you?

Bishop Elbs: I am very much with Pope Francis on these issues. As far as the ordination of married men is concerned, the Pope has spoken very clearly. (Note: Pope Francis can in principle imagine abolishing celibacy for priests). I also share this opinion. As far as the so-called women's question is concerned, the Pope is trying an approach that we are also striving for. Thus, in the organisational structure of the Curia, in the constitution of the Vatican State, women can hold the highest offices. For example, the vice-president of the government is a woman. Another issue is the question of ordination, where there are theological concerns and very different approaches worldwide. I personally, like Pope Francis, am clearly in favour of doing everything possible to bring women into leadership positions where it is already possible today. The question of ordination is a lengthy synodal process. It is completely understandable that many women would like to see changes in this regard. Possibly the solution lies in the "salutary decentralisation" envisaged by Pope Francis.

Cathcon:  Catholic Truth is indivisible and not susceptible to decentralisation.

Source


Comments