Pope's confessor: Pope wants a Church that renews herself

 “I TREAT HIM LIKE A BROTHER – NOT LIKE THE PONTIFEX”


They treat each other like brothers, says the "Pope's confessor" about his friendship with Francis. He also reports on the Pope's future plans for the Church and what he knows about a papal trip to Argentina.

The Argentine "Pope's confessor", Cardinal Luis Pascual Dri, advises politicians in his home country to adopt a conciliatory style without verbal attacks. Argentina needs radical change, but not a radical party - and also a papal visit, said Dri in an interview with the Catholic News Agency (KNA). A few weeks ago, Francis appointed the 96-year-old Capuchin from the Santuario di Nostra Signora di Pompei in Buenos Aires as a cardinal. In the interview he talks about his relationship with the Pope and the rumor that he baptized football legend Diego Maradona.

Question: Cardinal Dri, how did you hear the news that the Pope had named you a Cardinal?

Dri: It was like a bucket of cold water. It was six in the morning and I was reading Vatican news. When I found out that I was becoming a cardinal, I cried. You know, I come from the country, I'm a simple person. I never thought that the Pope would appoint this little bug, this Capuchin, as a cardinal deacon, never. After that, I received so many inquiries and more than 30, 40 letters from cardinals, bishops and even lay people from all over the world congratulating me. I thank you all; the people of God, the Pope. I am simply a priest; and the only thing I do is hear the confessions. I don't do anything else. After the appointment, the Pope and I spoke by letter; I thanked him.

Question: What is your personal relationship with the Pope?

Dri: Back then he always came to me at lunchtime to talk to me about everything. So we always got along well. He asked for a confessor and sat down next to me. It was a natural relationship of friendship, trust and affection that developed. I later had the opportunity to go to Rome in 2018. During those ten days he had a moment when he wanted to confess. He is a simple man, so calm, so balanced. This is how my friendship with him came about. I really treat him like a brother - not like the pontiff who is far away. Not at all. He treats me like that too.

Question: How would you characterize the Pope?

Dri: The Pope is very clear, very direct, very respectful. He says things clearly and explains where he wants to go. An open church; a Church that is present, that recognizes itself as a sister; a church that has room for everyone; a church that is like the synod. He is clear about what he wants. He wants to return to a church that lives the gospel. A church that renews itself. He says that “stagnant water causes rot.” He wants a church that is always on the move, that is always up to date. He answers questions he doesn't agree with calmly, slowly; he listens to everything and responds with biblical arguments.

Question: There is speculation about a Papal visit to Argentina. Did he say anything to you about it?

Dri: That would be desirable. I think he would do Argentina a lot of good if he came. We are pretty divided in politics, including in the church. It's not all rosy. So if one day the Pope brings a word, a hope, he could say: "Forgiveness is the oxygen that purifies the air polluted by hatred," something like that. Or also: "Forgiveness is the smile of God." But despite our trust, he didn't tell me whether he was coming to Argentina or not.

Question: You are 96 years old and have experienced Argentina in all its facets over the past decades. How has the country changed?

Dri: Argentina has definitely changed. The country has deteriorated economically; things continue to deteriorate in health and education. We need a real change. I always hear that Argentina is very rich - and yet everyone who talks about the economy says we can't make ends meet. I would say that we need an almost radical change, but not by a radical party.

Question: The country seems more divided than ever before. What advice do you give Argentine politicians to overcome this divide?

Dri: My advice as a priest and religious is that they learn to have a dialogue with one another. It is necessary to sit down and listen to each other. But I have the impression that they always want to have the last word, the power, the wealth - and that's not good. Insults between politicians lead to nothing, absolutely nothing. Respect for the person, whether you agree with them or not, is crucial. It doesn't matter whether someone is a believer or an unbeliever. Every person has their dignity. Everyone should think about what is being said.

Question: And what advice do you have for the church to maintain its position in society?

Dri: Basically, it's about the constant sowing of the gospel. The good testimony that we priests are good examples of humility and service. We should never believe that we are above others because of the titles of priests, bishops, whatever. We should serve people as brothers and sisters in order to reach more people. Just like Jesus did. Being present in all neighborhoods and places, as the new Archbishop Jorge Ignacio de Garcia Cordoba of Buenos Aires is doing, is, in my opinion, a path for the Church.

The Church of Jesus was a Church of service. Jesus washed the people's feet and said, "You shall do the same." So foot washing is a symbol of listening, understanding, compassion. To be in solidarity with the needs, to always be attentive and not indifferent to those who suffer. In the world, in Gaza, in Ukraine and in Russia, the church must be there and serve.

Question: There is a story in Argentina that you baptized football legend Diego Armando Maradona? Is that correct?

Dri: No. Maradona was baptized in my church - but it wasn't me

Source

The Confessor who apologised for forgiving too much

Cathcon: The Church does not renew herself, the Holy Spirit who proceeds from the Father and the Son do.

Comments