Priest withdraws from Episcopal consecration in Argentina

Belay will not be ordained Bishop

The priest, Fabián Belay, appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Rosario, decided not to accept the role, for which he asked the Pope for a dispensation from his appointment and the pontiff granted it. Statement and letter.

Yes, that is the way he often wears his collar.

Father Fabián Belay will not be ordained bishop Father Fabián Belay

The priest Fabián Belay, appointed Auxiliary Bishop of Rosario by Pope Francis on May 31, decided not to receive Episcopal ordination, announced the Archbishop of Rosario, Monsignor Eduardo Martín, in a statement dated July 4.

"After a deep spiritual discernment, in dialogue with me and in consultation with other highly trusted people, he has reached the conclusion, in conscience, before God that he does not receive episcopal ordination," said the Rosario archbishop, adding: " Therefore, he has asked the Holy Father Francis for a dispensation from his appointment, who has granted it."

Text of the Archiepiscopal communiqué

Rosario, July 4, 2023

Dear Brothers and Sisters of the Archdiocese of Rosario

Father Fabián Belay recently nominated Auxiliary Bishop of Rosario, after a deep spiritual discernment, in dialogue with me and in consultation with other highly trusted people, has reached the conclusion, in conscience, before God that he does will not receive episcopal ordination.

Therefore, he has asked the Holy Father Francis for a dispensation from his appointment, who has granted it.

We respect his decision and continue to support him with our prayers and closeness.

In turn, Father Fabián will continue with the fruitful exercise of the priestly ministry.

Dear Brothers and Sisters, let us continue to trust fully in the Lord, who guides and sustains the Church, knowing in faith that everything works for the good of those who love God.

We place the entire life of the Archdiocese in the hands of the Virgin of the Rosary, our Mother and Patroness, in the certainty that she will guide our steps with sure hope.

Bishop Eduardo E. Martín, Archbishop of Rosario

Text of the priest's letter

Dear Archdiocese of Rosario:

A month ago I found out that I would be Auxiliary Bishop of Rosario. At first, I felt that I could not refuse the mission that the Church was asking of me. As the days went by, dedicating time to prayer and discernment, I began to have another vision of the decision made. For this reason I am not going to continue the path towards the Episcopate.

I strongly experience that my priestly vocation is my deepest identity, lived in the midst of a community that walks with Jesus' preferred people. (Cathcon: meaning the poor)

I experience that it is a time to continue the processes started and not occupy new places.

I understand that I am taking a step after having made my designation public, which can hurt the faith of many people, for this reason I ask for forgiveness and I offer all the contradictions that I have to live by way of reparation.

I thank Bishop Eduardo for his support and trust in him at this time and I ask for the new ministry of Bishop Ernesto Fernández, which will be for the good of the whole Church.

In this Marian year I ask Our Lady to bless with abundant grace the life of all our Church that walks under her protection.

Fr Fabian Belay

Source

Cathcon:  The crisis is nothing if not episcopal.  They may well be more to this than meets the eye.

Comments