Synodalists will never be satisfied and are ignoring Rome in any case

An interview with a young delegate of the Synodal Assembly

KNA: How satisfied are you with the results of the Synodal Path? Thumbs up or down?

Melanie Giering (from Hamburg): Thumbs in the middle. On the one hand, I am satisfied that we approved many texts at the last meeting.

On the other hand, it bothers me that it's only about compromises and the texts don't contain such super earth-shattering things and don't bring about any real changes.

Young synodalist
Tribune of the People of God

KNA: What would you have wished for?

Giering: I would not have just wished for signals along the lines of: The German Bishops' Conference gives a vote to Rome and advocates changes. Instead, real reforms would have been nice. However, I was aware from the outset that I consider issues to be the most important that we can decide not only in Germany - for example, marriage for all and the priesthood for women.

KNA: How confident are you that these "signals" will lead to real reforms after all?

Giering: When I look at history, I'm only moderately confident. Many of the things that we have now discussed were also a topic at the Würzburg Synod 50 years ago. And yet not much has changed since then. Of course that's bitter. However, I have the impression that many German bishops have become more impatient and are more committed to reforms.

KNA: How did you experience the culture of discussion on the synodal path?

Giering: From my point of view, it was an open and mostly fair culture of discussion. A few conservative synods resigned before the last meeting. I found that beneficial for the culture of conversation.

KNA: But doesn't a good culture of discussion also mean that you can talk to everyone?

Giering: Yes, yes. But there are also limits. For me, discriminatory statements, for example, are not part of a fair culture of discussion.

KNA: As a reformer, did you still talk to conservative members of the synod?

Giering: Yes. On the fringes of the meetings, for example, I spoke to some bishops who I know did not agree with all the texts. I found these discussions to be very open. These bishops were definitely interested in hearing my opinion and my motivations.

KNA: In your opinion, how should things continue now?

Giering: I place great hopes in the synodal committee, which is to continue the work of the synodal path. I think it is important that the things that we have decided are now also implemented in the dioceses. It is good to have such a body that keeps an eye on it and ensures a certain level of commitment.

KNA: The number of members of the Catholic Church in Germany has been declining for years. Do you see a future for the church in this country at all?

Giering: Nobody can stop people leaving the church - no matter what reforms come. In the future we will be a much smaller group of Catholics in Germany. But that doesn't release us from the responsibility to develop further. Even the few members must feel comfortable in the church in the future, and the church must remain a place of togetherness.

KNA: Why should young people today remain or become Church members?

Giering: I always tell young people that they should look less at the official church in Rome and more at the congregations, groups and associations that are really with the people and in which you can help shape things yourself. When I look at the signals from Rome, I often feel powerless and hopeless. But when I look into my own community and see what great things are going on there, what great people are there and what an open, fair and non-discriminatory space there is, then that gives me courage. At this level, many of the reforms that we discussed in the synodal path have long since been implemented.

Source

Comments