Pope tells others to go to the margins but he twice refused to

From an interview in the Jesuit journal, La Civiltà Cattolica (reflecting the mind of the Vatican since 1850!)

As a professed Jesuit you vowed not to seek roles of authority in the Church. What prompted you to accept the episcopacy and then the cardinalate and then the papacy?

When I made that vow, I meant it. When they proposed me to be Auxiliary Bishop of San Miguel, I did not accept. Then I was asked to be bishop of an area in northern Argentina, in the province of Corrientes. The Papal Nuncio, to encourage me to accept, told me that there were the ruins of the Jesuit past there. I replied that I did not want to be guardian of the ruins, and I refused. I refused these two requests because of the vow I made. The third time the nuncio came, but already with the authorization signed by the Superior General, Father Kolvenbach, who had agreed to my accepting. It was as an Auxiliary Bishop of Buenos Aires. Therefore I accepted in a spirit of obedience. Then I was appointed Coadjutor Archbishop of my city, and in 2001 Cardinal. In the last conclave, I came with a small briefcase to return immediately to the diocese, but I had to stay. I believe in the Jesuit distinctiveness about this vow, and I did my best not to accept the episcopate.

See Forgotten Jesuit sanctuaries in the jungles of Argentina.  Seems the ideal appointment for a Jesuit and environmentalist.....

And they have a wonderful Catholic heritage.


Comments