Cardinal denies money laundering accusations

Cardinal Norberto Rivera Carrera, Archbishop Emeritus of Mexico City, has denied allegations linking him to a businessman under investigation in the United States for money laundering.

He did so in a letter sent on 17 August to the Director of the Mexican daily, Reforma, Alejandro Junco Elizondo, after the newspaper published a front-page article with information from Univisión Investiga about his alleged links to businessman Fernando Peyro de la O.

The Cardinal explained that it was true that "I have known Mr Fernando for some time, but it has been some years since I have had personal dealings with him".

"It should be noted that I did not receive a house in Durango as a gift from him, nor did he finance a trip to Europe," the Cardinal said.

The Univisión report says: "Peyro said that during the years of his close relationship with the Cardinal, he spared no effort to please his mentor. He recalled giving him an expensive house near a golf course in Durango."

Regarding "Mr Peyro's alleged claim that I am associated with him as a 'boss'," the Cardinal said in his letter, "I have never been one."

The Mexican Cardinal asserted that "I have not held the office of Vatican financial secretary, nor have I carried out financial activities for the Vatican," according to press reports.

The Archbishop explained that he had been appointed by Popes Benedict XVI and Francis as a member of the Economic Council of the Holy See, "but this position was only advisory and had nothing to do with the direct management of finances".

The Mexican cardinal also said that the fact that "someone boasts of knowing me and makes false claims about my relationship with him, or worse, that he claims I could be involved in criminal activity, does not mean that I have anything to do with or am responsible for illegal acts, just because I know by hearsay".

"If the authorities of our country or of the United States have reasonable doubts about Mr Peyro's commercial activity, they are obliged to act in accordance with the law and to apply the law," the Cardinal concluded.

Source

Comments