Cardinal Marx thinks fabricated liturgy is turning people away from the Church

Reactions to record church resignations



"I ask myself: What can I do? What is our task?"

More people than ever have turned their backs on the Catholic Church, some see it as a danger to society. Cardinal Reinhard Marx is now shocked – and also a little at a loss.

More than half a million people left the Catholic Church last year - a new negative record that the German Bishops' Conference made public on Wednesday. A statement by the Archbishop of Munich and Freising, Cardinal Reinhard Marx, now shows how much these numbers hurt the Church and apparently also left them a bit perplexed.

"I am deeply moved by this week's news," Marx said at a service in which he ordained three priests. Even in Bavaria, which is largely Catholic, there were more than 153,000 resignations. "I ask myself: What can I do? What is my task? What is our task, our joint work?”

Marx went on to say that there are no easy answers - but tasks. He is very worried if church services are perceived as weak and boring. He clarified: "Liturgy is not made, fabricated - it is celebrated."

"Now at the latest it must be clear to everyone that it's getting down to business"

It is an important task for all those who have been baptized and confirmed to answer the question in a convincing manner: "Why am I a Christian? And what does that mean?” According to Marx, the church must show what that means. He assumes that the “shape of the church” will change. But: "The core will remain: that we are seekers of God."

Source

Cathcon:  The greatest liturgical fabrications were undertaken after the Council.  It is a major source of the problem.  Yet the Church is trying to suppress the Latin Mass....

Comments