Archbishop Fernandez says he would have handled the abuse case differently in new interview

Francis fills the post of prefect of the Department of Faith: Victor Manuel Fernández will follow his compatriot to the Vatican. He reveals which theological ideas connect him with the Pope, how he evaluates the Synodal Path and where his nickname comes from.


In two months time, a breath of fresh air will come to the Vatican Dicastery for the Doctrine of the Faith. Around September 11th, the new prefect, Victor Manuel Fernández, will begin his duties as head of the agency. He spoke to catholic.de about his relationship with the Pope and explained how his pastoral experiences as a pastor and bishop have shaped his theological thinking. He also goes into the German reform process, the Synodal Path.

Question: Mr. Archbishop, in about a month you will leave your Archdiocese in Argentina and travel to Rome to become Prefect of the Dicastery of Faith. How do you feel about the upcoming changes?

Fernández: It's a big change. I know Rome and I will have no problem living in this beautiful city. One problem for me, however, is being uprooted from my home country of Argentina. I will have to learn other lifestyle habits. The great advantage is that in Rome there is someone I trust completely, who knows me very well and with whom I can speak with complete freedom: the Pope.

Question: What priorities do you want to set at the head of the dicastery?

Fernández: I will do the work that comes up, but with a particularly strong focus on ensuring consistency in the Church's magisterium, including the Magisterium of Francis. Sometimes one has the impression that well-known theological arguments are repeated endlessly. As if Francis does not exist, as if he has said nothing, as if he has nothing to say on the issues on the table. But Francis has already contributed so much! In any case, looking at this point, there is a priority, just as in the search for a theology in dialogue with the concrete lives of people, with their suffering, their tragedies and their hopes.

Question: For your new task, the Pope has written in your genealogy that you strive for a "harmonious growth" of faith and not to rely on control. What does that mean specifically? As a guardian of the faith, you sometimes have to take tough action when a theologian deviates from the teachings of the church.

Fernández: For Francis it is very important how you do it: you can do it hard and drastic or in dialogue with the person. In the process, what their legitimate motivations are and how to get back together may come to light. After all, you can also learn something from a person who expresses himself in a wrong way.

"That was the hardest year of my life. If you ask me if I would do the same thing again today: I don't think so."

— Quote: Archbishop Víctor Manuel Fernández on his dealings with an abuser in Argentina

Question: Are you now beginning a difficult time for Francis' enemies within the Church?

Fernández: No, absolutely not. Sometimes these people have made me suffer, but I can't see anyone suffering. I'm never above speaking to these groups to clear things up. But it would never occur to the Pope or me to use our power to make life difficult for others.

Question: The Pope has accommodated you in the new task and has signaled to you that you do not have to focus on the subject of abuse, which is also part of the Dicastery of Faith. This was not only received positively. So is dealing with this topic no longer a top priority?

Fernández: Addressing the issue of abuse is a priority for the Dicastery and for the whole Church. It will continue to be an important task of the Disciplinary Section to tackle it with great commitment and a lot of work. However, the prefect will no longer have direct responsibility for this. That seems very reasonable to me, considering that I am not a specialized canonist but a theologian. In addition, it is difficult for the prefect to devote time and attention to the development of ecclesiastical thought when he is directly responsible for the issue of abuse.

Question: In Argentina you are also accused of being too lax with an abuser. What do you say to these critics?

Fernández: At the time, I acted as it was done at the time. It was a case that had already been investigated and that had been closed by the judiciary ten years before I arrived in La Plata. Just as I was taking office as Archbishop, the prosecutors got the case reopened. I asked the priest to avoid any contact with minors and a few months later that he no longer publicly exercise his priestly ministry. We even sent him to a Caritas facility, where a doctor examined him. He was later sent to prison as a precaution and committed suicide there. That was the hardest year of my life. If you ask me if I would do the same thing again today: I don't think so. I would take much more drastic measures sooner, knowing that this does not mean prejudging the decisions of the judiciary. That way everyone would have had more peace. But at that time there were other church guidelines, today the planned processes are, thank God, much better. In this sense, I can say that I have not done anything improper: I have not defended the priest, nor have I done anything that affected the victims or the judiciary. When the victims asked me if I believed them, I always said yes. If I am told today that my actions were not sufficient, I agree. Even if I didn't act differently from what was customary at the time, I could have acted better than I did.

Question: You are considered a confidant of Pope Francis. Are you looking forward to working more closely with him and living close to him at the Vatican?

Fernández: Actually, I don't know if I'll meet Francis that often because I won't be living in Santa Marta. In addition, the Pope likes it when you work a lot and don't lose time with friends and conversations. I will probably see him whenever the prefect is supposed to see the pope according to the established rules.

Question: Francis has been in the hospital for the past month undergoing surgery. How is the Pope's health? Does he still have enough strength to lead the Church?

Fernández: He agreed to the operation because his health would improve thanks to the procedure. It wasn't just about fixing a medical problem, it was about improving his health. This was successful as far as I could tell. I stayed at the Vatican for a week and stayed on his floor in Santa Marta, just a few meters from his room. He received visitors all morning and afternoon. I would get tired at this workload, but he wouldn't.

Question: What theological ideas connect the Pope and you?

Fernández: They are different: understanding God as the abyss of love and mercy in which the divine persons are in a relationship, eternal and in perfect reference to each other. This is a mystery that is reflected in Christ, in his gestures, in his whole life, in his definitive dedication, and that is communicated to us in the open heart of the Risen One. From this mystery springs a deep conviction of the immense and inalienable dignity of every human person beyond all circumstances. The conviction of the high value of every human being - that is something that quilts out of every pore of the Pope, so to speak. At the same time, we are united in understanding theology as intimately related to spiritual life and pastoral care. We also share the belief that wisdom is found in the poor. The Holy Spirit gives them truth and beauty. Therefore, in popular piety we recognize an authentic manifestation of theologically based faith and even a mysticism that finds expression in other categories.

"I am very interested in getting to know these demands better."

— Quote: Archbishop Víctor Manuel Fernández on the demands of the Synodal Path in Germany

Question: Francis attaches great importance to the connection between pastoral care and theology. How has your work as a priest and bishop in La Plata shaped your theological thinking? What will you bring to your position as Prefect of the Faith?

Fernández: A lot. I was a pastor in the outskirts of a town in inland Argentina for eight years, having previously studied theology and completed my doctorate in Rome. This experience fundamentally changed the way I viewed certain theological concepts that I previously thought were immutable. The same happened after the years as Archbishop of La Plata. It was also a pastoral experience on the periphery of the world, in my beloved Latin America. On top of that, I grew up in a small village and I always try to be close to the most abandoned people. I have no doubt that this will add something to my work in the Dicastery, for it gives different perspectives to theological thinking, which are a way of accessing other dimensions of truth.

Question: In the church in Germany, the Synodal Path has called for far-reaching reforms. This was not received particularly well in the Vatican – including by your predecessor, Cardinal Luis Ladaria. How do you feel about these demands?

Fernández: I am very interested in getting to know these demands better. In my opinion, it would be unwise and harmful to give reviews at the moment. After all, I lived 12,000 kilometers away and haven't spoken to those responsible yet.

Question: Finally, a personal question: In Argentina you are often called "Tucho" by your nickname. Where did this nickname come from? And will there also be a Prefect "Tucho"?

Fernández: Tucho Méndez was a soccer player who scored a lot of goals against my father's team in a final. So, to tease him, they called him Tucho, and when I was born the nickname passed to me: I was called Tuchito. In my hometown they still call me Tuchito when I visit there. Even the Pope himself calls me Tucho and maybe the members of the Dicastery will call me that at some point.

Source

Cathcon: There are 11 cases that are known about and he knows there are.

Comments