"OutInChurch" youth activist fights for place in Church

"OutInChurch" founding member remains confident

"I fight for my place"



The new film "As God created us - after coming out" is the second part to shed light on the fates of the people who came out at that time through #OutInChurch. Founding member Ramona Kielblock had a role in both films.

DOMRADIO.DE: In the first film you basically only appeared for one second. Were there any reactions from those around you?

Ramona Kielblock (founding member of #OutInChurch and Catholic Youth education officer in the Archdiocese of Cologne): I was also recognised in the short time. The initiative had a website and social media channels where the profiles of the individual people were shown again. Some people discovered me and contacted me as a result.

Former fellow students or colleagues wrote to me saying how cool they thought it was that I was involved and how good and important it was.

DOMRADIO.DE: The new ecclesiastical labour law no longer sees private living conditions as grounds for dismissal. This means that you are safe as a lesbian church employee who has come out. Do you feel safe?

Kielblock: I feel safe. But for me it is also the case that I did not have any great fears beforehand. Because with the Catholic Young Community (KjG) I have an employer where I can be who I am. No consequences await me there.

In this respect, not much has changed for me personally. But many others were afraid of the consequences of coming out. This change is a big step in the service regulations that finally takes away an existential fear for many.

Ramona Kielblock

"We are still nowhere near where we want to be."

DOMRADIO.DE: The Church in Germany has moved quickly in relation to labour law. Quantum leap or stage victory for you?

Kielblock: Clearly a stage victory. We are still nowhere near where we want to be. It is a very important step in terms of fear.

However, we are still at the point where church teaching classifies who we are and how we live as a sin. Even though we no longer have to fear for our jobs, we actually still represent this teaching with our employment.

It is a very bizarre situation and not easy for us as individuals.

DOMRADIO.DE: In an interview, the chairman of the German Bishops' Conference, Bishop Georg Bätzing, lets it slip that he is in a quandary about selling the German Special Path to Rome. Would you want to swap places with him?

Kielblock: I am very unsure whether I would want this job. I think that in case of doubt I would perhaps do it differently. I understand this "sitting between the chairs" very well.

He has a difficult role. But we expect and wish that he and the other bishops will represent the initiative very clearly and not come out with a back-and-forth wavering and dependence on Rome.

They should step forward with more courage, just as we did. We were also dependent and had great fears.

We resolved together that we are strong together and see where that takes us. I wish for more of that.

DOMRADIO.DE: In the new ARD film, a few people also have their say who are leaving the Catholic Church despite the change in canon law. Is that understandable for you?

Kielblock: Totally. Actually, one can be happy about all those who stay. Personally, I can understand that for many people it's not enough and they can't go on here and they leave.

Ramona Kielblock

"I am of the opinion that I am a part of this church and I will not let that be taken away from me."

DOMRADIO.DE: You earn your living from the church. But that's not the only thing that keeps you going, is it?

Kielblock: Right. As a social education worker, I would have many opportunities to earn money in other ways. But staying is also a conviction.

It's a decision I make again and again. I am of the opinion that I am a part of this church. I will not let that be taken away from me.

I'm fighting for my place and I'm fighting with #OutInChurch, with youth associations that have long been convinced that church doesn't have to be like this.

Because if it takes its responsibility towards people and human rights seriously, then church must be a place for everyone.

A place of diversity where everyone feels accepted. That's what I want to keep fighting for, and I still have the strength to do so.

Source


Comments