Benedictine monk praises Lord of the Lost band

After poor performance: Benedictine monk wants reform at Eurovision Song Contest (ESC)

Benedictine Benedikt Müller from Königsmünster Abbey in Meschede is a Eurovision song contest expert. A few years ago, he even sat on the jury of the German preliminary round himself. In an interview with katholisch.de, he explains what he thought of the performance of the German band "Lord of The Lost" in Liverpool and what he would do differently next year.

Question: Brother Benedikt, did you watch the Eurovision Song Contest at the weekend?

Brother Benedikt: Of course, like every year. I have been an ESC fan since childhood and have only missed the Song Contest twice so far. I think it is such a great event. You can also see that in the many reactions that this European competition triggers in people.

Question: Why do you watch the ESC?

Brother Benedikt: I like the music in different languages. For me, the Song Contest is also part of my understanding of Europe, what Europe is all about. Through the Song Contest, I learned geography back in the 1980s, so to speak. It was educational television for me. I saw beautiful pictures from Iceland, Spain or Malta through the postcard films. Where else could I have seen such pictures back then? I think it's important to perceive Europe as unity in diversity in this peaceful way. Europe is colourful, every band makes its contribution to this at the ESC. I am also against the idea that all participating bands sing only in English. Europe has so many different cultures and languages to offer and the ESC expresses that.

Question: How did you follow the ESC this year? Alone on the cell or together with the confreres in front of the monastery television?

Brother Benedikt: Normally I watch the ESC together with the other monks in front of the television. This year it was different. I wasn't in such a good mood, so I watched it alone on my mobile. But I felt connected with the many ESC friends.

Question: You yourself were once a member of the jury at an ESC. From your point of view, what did you really think of the entry of the German rock band "Lord of the Lost"? Was it really not good?

Brother Benedikt: I thought the performance was very good and successful. I like the band "Lord of the Lost". However, a song like that is always a matter of taste. But the title "Blood and Glitter" is spiritually charged. It also refers to Good Friday and Easter Sunday. We will fall down and get up, rise to heaven. That's what I heard. The song had so many mystical elements and spiritual statements. The song is also about saints and sinners. I looked at the lyrics carefully, of course. But for their exceptional vocal performance alone, this rock band could have scored better. It probably would have gone down better a few years ago. I think it was mainly a jury problem. There are people sitting there who all come from the music scene. That means they tend to go in the same direction in their assessment. In the past, the jury members were more diverse and the result was different. This year you could also see that the audience voted differently than the jury. I think the jury can't stay like this and must become bigger and more colourful. It should not only be made up of experts, but of jurors from different walks of life. Because only those who were in the TOP 10 on the jury's ranking list were able to collect points in the end.

Question: Which band was your favourite in the ESC this year?

Brother Benedikt: My favourite was Finland. I thought this rock song, which then turned into a Finnish hit song, was brilliant. The song made people clap and celebrate. It was just the right thing to do after the long pandemic. I was not wrong. The Finnish entry came in second.

Question: What would have to change for the German group to be in the lead again?

Brother Benedikt: First of all, it has to be said that the country decided on this entry by vote. Of course, it is also a problem that we as German participants are seeded together with four other countries, because we are one of the main sponsors of this music competition. But I think something would also have to change in the broadcasting rights of the stations. I plead for the Bavarian Broadcasting Corporation to take over again. Up to now, when BR broadcast the Song Contest, the German participants were always in the forefront.

Question: That means you were already upset that the German group came in last place in 2023?

Brother Benedikt: To set the record straight: We didn't come last, we came 26th out of 37 participants. That means there were bands behind us. In retrospect, I think you do the band "Lord of the Lost" quite an injustice by making fun of them. They didn't deserve that. I watched a few interviews with the band's singer Chris Harms. It's a cosmopolitan attitude that he spreads. That fits with the song statement: "We're all the same, we're all of the same blood." The band thinks open-heartedly and has other people in mind. I felt really sorry for them after the ESC. But the band is now going on a big tour, which I think is good. They just keep going.

Question: Guildo Horn has suggested that Germany take a break from the ESC. Would that also be good in your eyes?

Brother Benedikt: No, we have to continue. Quitting would be the wrong way. Perhaps the music industry would have to make more of an effort in future and allow more preliminary rounds for the ESC, as Austria does, for example. That makes sense. But I think the band "Lord of the Lost" made an effort.

Question: What do you wish for the next ESC?

Brother Benedikt: I would like a German-language song, maybe a sensible ballad or a rock number. Just no Ballermann hit and no carnival song, please. And then we have to hope that it's the right song at the right time. I could also imagine Silly, AnNa R., Marie Reim or Nina Hagen at the ESC. Nina Hagen is a devout Christian who recently got baptised. I think she's a great singer. But I don't think she'll do it. In any case, I can well imagine advising those responsible and holding a conference retreat with them here in the monastery. But they won't get in touch with me. (Laughs.)

Source

See also Church hosts Lords of the Lost

Comments