Pictures that say a thousand words about the Second Vatican Council

 

Credit Palette.fm.

In contrast this week, Cardinal Arthur Roche, the prefect of the Dicastery for Divine Worship, told a BBC audience that the Vatican moved to restrict access to the traditional Latin Mass because “the theology of the Church has changed.”

Cardinal Roche said that whereas the traditional Mass emphasized the role of the priest as making the Eucharistic sacrifice, today the Church teaches that all the baptized participate in the offering.

Saint Augustine in Book X of the Confessions

Chapter 27. He Grieves that He Was So Long Without God. 
38. Too late did I love You, O Fairness, ever ancient and ever new! Too late did I love You! For behold, You were within, and I without, and there did I seek You; I, unlovely, rushed heedlessly among the things of beauty You made. You were with me, but I was not with You. Those things kept me far from You, which, unless they were in You, were not. You called, and cried aloud, and forced open my deafness. You gleamed and shine, and chase away my blindness. You exhaled odours, and I drew in my breath and do pant after You. I tasted, and do hunger and thirst. You touched me, and I burned for Your peace. 

Chapter 28. On the Misery of Human Life. 
39. When I shall cleave unto You with all my being, then shall I in nothing have pain and labour; and my life shall be a real life, being wholly full of You. But now since he whom Thou fillest is the one Thou liftest up, I am a burden to myself, as not being full of You. Joys of sorrow contend with sorrows of joy; and on which side the victory may be I know not. Woe is me! Lord, have pity on me. My evil sorrows contend with my good joys; and on which side the victory may be I know not. Woe is me! Lord, have pity on me. Woe is me! Lo, I hide not my wounds; You are the Physician, I the sick; Thou merciful, I miserable.

This was later picked up by Maurois’s conclusion to his biography of Disraeli. Referring to the words of Bell, some years after Disraeli’s death, on seeing Disraeli’s statue covered with primroses, ‘They have canonized him as a saint!’ he exclaims: ‘No, Disraeli was very far from being a saint. But perhaps as some old Spirit of Spring, ever vanquished and ever alive, and as a symbol of what can be accomplished, in a cold and hostile universe, by a long youthfulness of heart.’

Comments