Father Martin apologises for appearing to downplay sin and crime

Father James Martin, the progressive Jesuit has apologised for his rather enthusiastic eulogy for the completely corrupt and corrupting Archbishop Weakland on his death.  I well remember being first with the news of Weakland's resignation in a cesspit of scandal to the late and very great liturgical scholar, Michael Davies (His books are obligatory reading for all who want to understand what went on at the Council and onward into this dreary, post-conciliar age).  He said "Very good" and we continued with our beers. See "The Wave of the Future" which Michael wrote in reply to Weakland on the liturgy.

Father Martin wrote this last night on his Facebook page:  

Dear Friends: Last night many people were angered by my comments about Archbishop Rembert Weakland, OSB, who committed many sins and crimes, and who died yesterday at age 95. Obviously, I condemn his covering up clergy sex abuse and his paying out of "hush money," as detailed in this extensive obituary in the New York Times. I can see how people thought I was downplaying (or even ignoring) his sins and crimes. I'm sorry for not being clearer about that.

I was also surprised by many Catholics who said not only that they could never be friends with someone like that, but that he should "rot in hell," etc.

I take seriously Jesus's well-known (and at the time deeply scandalous) friendship with "sinners and tax collectors" and considered Archbishop Weakland, a deeply sinful man, a friend.
The heart of Jesus's message is that no one is beyond God's infinite mercy, not even a murderer, not even Rembert Weakland.

I apologize for seemingly excusing his many sins and crimes. That wasn't my intent: I condemn those actions and should have been much clearer.

But I also ask if people would have sat alongside Jesus as he ate with "sinners and tax collectors," as he often did in Galilee and Judea? We often forget that Jesus probably dined with hardened criminals. (Mt 9:10-17, Mk 2:15-22, Lk 5:29-39)

May God have mercy on the soul of Archbishop Rembert Weakland, and may God have mercy on all sinners, which is all of us, myself included.
Others reacted differently. In not presuming on the judgement of God, not condemning to hell fire, one should equally not presume on heaven for such a great sinner.

After all, modernists did set up a Shrine to St Judas who is clearly their Patron Saint.

Comments