Pages

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Shrine of the Old Good God

Reactions 

On the lefthand side of the road from Pepinster to Banneux Notre-Dame, at the place called Tancremont, there is a small chapel which has a remarkable cross: it is the cross known in the area as the "Old Good God".

People have been going there for decades to implore Christ's Mercy. The origin of the cross is quite obscure. In the archives of the nearby parish of Thcux, they mention several times the presence of an old cross in the church dedicated to Alexandra and Hermes, built in the 9th century.

Marks can be seen at the back and at the foot of the Tancremont cross, which make us believe that it is the glorious cross which hung over the choir of that church for many centuries. The archives testify that it was put away in a side chapel in the 18th century because it no longer conformed to the style ot the time. It was probably during the French Revolution that it was buried in a field and protected by a hig stone.

What we know for certain is that a peasant discovered ir during the 19th century in a well preserved condition, thanks to the dry environment it had been kept in. The chapel of Tancremont was built in 1895 to shelter and honour the cross. It was restored in 1932 and then in 1986.

A relic of the Holy Cross is kept there. Normally Masses in the ordinary form, but they also have a poster up promoting the Latin Mass.

No comments: