Death of Sister Lucia


the last of the Fatima children has died.


«... opening the New Testament,
the only book I desire
to have here in front of me,
in this remote corner of the attic,
lit by a single skylight,
to which I withdraw whenever I can,
in order to escape, as far as possible,
from all human eyes.
My lap serves as a table,
and an old trunk as a chair...
In St. Paul's letter to the Philippians,
I read: «Let this mind be in you,
which was also in Christ Jesus...
He humbled Himself,
becoming obedient unto death...
It is God who works in you
to will and to accomplish,
according to His good will.»
«l need no more than this:
obedience and abandonment to God
who works within me.
I am truly no more than a poor
and miserable instrument
which He desires to use,
and in a little while,
like the painter
who casts his now useless brush
into the fire so that
it may be reduced to ashes,
the Divine Artist will Himself
reduce His now useless instrument
to the ashes of the tomb,
until the great day
of the eternal Alleluias.
And I ardently desire that day,
for the tomb does not annihilate everything,
and the happiness
of eternal and infinite love
begins — now! »
(Sister Lucia's Memoirs)

The body of Sister Lucia Marto, the last of three children who saw the Virgin Mary in 1917 in Fatima, central Portugal, lies in a chapel of the Convent of Carmelitas in Coimbra, Sunday, Feb. 13, 2005

The First Saturday Devotion

Reuters on Sister Lucia

Obituary in the Daily Telegraph, London, UK

Obituary in the London Times

BBC News Report

Comments