Cardinal becomes Methodist elder

as he presides over Methodist event

So maybe the Cardinal saw a Methodist Communion and could not tell the difference from a modern Catholic Eucharist. I hasten to add there was no communion service on the actual day.

Two Methodists producing a parody of the Catholic Mass in America. Without a belief in the Real Presence, bread worship really.

But how is he going to deal with their women bishops? Bit of ecumenical shoving of problems under the carpet.


My grandfather was a Methodist elder!. The day after he intoned in the pulpit, "If Jesus Christ came to Chesterfield today, he would not be seen dead in this church but would be in Chesterfield Parish Church, he was sacked. Chesterfield Parish Church was a local Anglo-Catholic stronghold, where later my mother, who defected from the Congregationalists at the age of 13, would be an enthusiastic congregant.

My grandfather did not go to church for the rest of his life, but was a sworn opponent of every Archbishop of Canterbury. He was visited by an Anglican vicar, (from a church dependent on the Parish Church) who was a governor of St Stephen's House, my brother's theological college a few weeks before he died. This was a result of a conversation between my brother and this vicar. But we were fearing a bad reaction from this visit.

Far from it. As much as an Anglican can offer peace, my grandfather died at peace.

Why then can my grandfather recognise, what Cardinal Kasper cannot?

Comments

Eric John said…
So he PRESIDED at a Methodist eucharist? Is he still a Roman Catholic Cardinal?
Richard Chonak said…
I can't find anything to confirm that this actually was a communion service. Can you provide any details?

Those pictures certainly don't look as if they'd been taken at the Basilica of St Paul's Outside the Walls.
M. Alexander said…
Pita bread? Doesn't he know that wraps are in vogue right now? Pita bread is so 80s.
Unknown said…
It was a prayer service. Not a Mass, not a methodist eucharistic liturgy.

Given the grea number of ex-Methodists who have recanted their error and entered into communion with the Holy See, this is not a bad thing.
RevNeal said…
I am the United Methodist Elder photographed in this blog celebrating the Eucharist. I am NOT Walter Cardinal Kasper, nor do I make any claim to having been present at the service at St. Paul Outside the Walls. The photograph was taken in 2002 at First United Methodist Church in Seagoville, Texas, my prior pastoral appointment.

I don't know what the author of this blog thinks he's doing posting that photo of me with that claim, and I hereby request that he correct the blog reference to remove any and all question as to the identity of the person photographed.

Dr. Gregory S. Neal
Senior Pastor
St. Stephen United Methodist Chruch
Mesquite, Texas

Rector
Grace Incarnate Ministries
http://www.RevNeal.org
RevNeal said…
Thank you for changing it the blog to remove the misinformation it contained. Contrary to what you state, however, we do believe in Real Presence. This wasn't a parody of anything ... it was a Eucharist. For more, see:

http://www.youtube.com/revneal