Was intrigue in the Vatican too much for the Pope?

Pope's friend Max Seckler: Did Benedict XVI himself wrestle with intrigue in the Vatican?

According to the Tübingen professor of fundamental theology, Max Seckler - he was once a long time colleague of the theologian Joseph Ratzinger - the announced resignation of Pope Benedict is a sign of inner depths.

"It strengthens the view that a Pope should give up, if his health demands it", the 85-year-old friend of the Pope said today to the news agency dpa- and added:

"He has suffered a lot from some things that this office brings with it. "

Dimas, Professor Seckler: It is hard to imagine that there is intrigue in Rome, with which he himself has had to wrestle with. This has affected him very much because he is a theologian and a noble man indeed. "

He had been wondering for years how long Pope Benedict could put up with this burden.

Yet, the resignation announcement came as a surprise admitted Professor Seckler:"This is one of those bold steps which he has always beern ready to take."

"Pray for me that I did not flee from the wolves"
In a sermon, the head of the Catholic Church asked the faithful shortly after his election as pope to, "Pray for me, that I may not flee for fear of the wolves.” - This may already have indicated that Benedict would not be able to bear the coming time easily.

Here is the context of those significant words of 24 April 2005 in his speech at the inauguration:

“Feed my sheep”, says Christ to Peter, and now, at this moment, he says it to me as well. Feeding means loving, and loving also means being ready to suffer. Loving means giving the sheep what is truly good, the nourishment of God’s truth, of God’s word, the nourishment of his presence, which he gives us in the Blessed Sacrament. My dear friends – at this moment I can only say: pray for me, that I may learn to love the Lord more and more. Pray for me, that I may learn to love his flock more and more – in other words, you, the holy Church, each one of you and all of you together. Pray for me, that I may not flee for fear of the wolves. Let us pray for one another, that the Lord will carry us and that we will learn to carry one another.

Wolves in the Curia?

Comments