Thursday, October 04, 2012
The case of Holocaust denier Bishop Richard Williamson is expected to come to a new trial. The Regensburg court has re-adopted the charges against the SSPX member. His defense council has announced that they will oppose the charges. The Regensburg court has again charged the ultraconservative bishop and Holocaust denier Richard Williamson with incitement to racial hatred. The SSPX bishop downplayed the murder of Jews during the Nazi dictatorship, according to a court spokesman. The penalty provides for a fine of 100 equivalent daily units (financial penalties are on a tariff of days in Germany). The spokesman would not disclose the amount of the penalty sought.
Williamson's lawyer has announced that a statement of opposition against the fine will be lodged with the court. The case against the 72-year-old bishop will therefore have to be reopened. There had been no new results from the investigation, so that the defense will seek an acquital, it was said in a statement. Williamson, Bishop of the ultra-conservative SSPX had, in October 2008, been intervieed in the seminary of the Society in Regensburg by a Swedish television crew. In it, he denied the existence of gas chambers and the killing of millions of Jews by the Nazis. The interview broadcast in Sweden was published on the Internet.
The District Court in Regensburg had demanded that Williamson as a penalty make a payment of a 10,000 euro fine. The bishop refused which led to the first process. In it , the District Court upheld the fine in 2010, which in 2011 was reduced to 6500 euros by the District Court of the Second Instance . However Williamson lodged an appeal. In February, the Nuremberg Higher Regional Court quashed the judgment because of procedural errors . The judges criticized the original judgment on the grounds that the distribution channels of the interview had not been shown. The Williamson case plunged the Catholic Church into a serious crisis. It was precisely at the time that the interview was made public that the Vatican announced the lifting of the excommunication of Williamson and three other bishops of the SSPX. Pope Benedict XVI. said at the time that he had known nothing of the interview. Source
For months, the Vatican has been investigating a South American bishop for alleged sexual abuse of minors. Bishop Marco Antonio Fernández Órdenes
The neo-conservative Bishop Marco Antonio Órdenes Fernández (47) of Iquique, is under investigation for alleged sexual abuse of minors in several cases, the spokesman of the Chilean bishops' conference announced on Tuesday. The port city of Iquique of population 160,000 is located in northern Chile . The Conciliar Blessed John Paul II († 2005) appointed Msgr. Órdenes in 1996 at the age of only 41 to be the diocesan bishop.
Currently under treatment
According to Chilean press reports, the bishop is is in Peru for the treatment of a congenital liver condition. He will return in the next few days to Chile.
The Vatican has investigated since April
The CDF has investigated the case since April. The Apostolic Nuncio in Chile, Archbishop Ivo Scapolo (59) has been concerned for months to find out if the allegations are true or a pack of lies. The alleged victims have been offered psychological help.
The bishop protests his innocence
According to the Chilean newspaper La Tercera, Mons. Órdenes has canceled due to his health several dates since August. Those close to him informed the bishop that investigations are ongoing against him. According to the Santiago Times, Mons. Órdenes has maintained his innocence and asked for prayer.
Prosecutor found no evidence against the bishop
According to 'terra.com' the prosecutors already investigated the bishop several years ago. It is unclear whether the former investigations are related to the current allegations. those days were there was no evidence against the bishop. If there are now new facts, the authorities want to start a new legal process.