Head of SSPX Calls on Williamson to Correct Nonsense

from SPIEGEL ONLINE - News - International

Bishop Bernard Fellay, head of the Society of Saint Pius X, told SPIEGEL that Bishop Richard Williamson's comments denying the scale of the Holocaust were "nonsense" and said he had told him to retract them.

Bishop Bernard Fellay, the head of the ultra-conservative Society of Saint Pius X (SSPX), has apologized for the comments made by Bishop Richard Williamson denying the scale of the Holocaust and said he had asked Williamson to retract "this nonsense."

Fellay, superior general of the society since 1994, told SPIEGEL in written answers to questions that he had dismissed Williamson from his position as director of the La Reja Seminary outside Buenos Aires, the Argentinian capital, on Jan. 31, nine days before the dismissal was reported by an Argentinian news agency.

Williamson had made his comments denying the scale of the Holocaust in an interview with Swedish television broadcast in January. "As soon as I saw this interview I told him to correct this nonsense," Fellay said. "The sooner, the better."

Comments

Though I lack convincing factual evidence to refute Bishop Williamson's claims, I am inclined to believe he was incorrect. Lacking Msgr. Fellay's apparent omniscience, I am unable to call them "nonsense," though were I he, I would not have done so in any case, given that such a display of disloyalty might be perceived as pernicious by SSPX contributors--FORMER contributors--such as myself.

I am a hostage to the SSPX Mass, but I suggest to the arrogant superior that he seek funding from the Vatican hereafter. If my identity is discovered and I am barred from the chapel for lese majeste, so be it. I am ashamed to have contributed in ANY way to an organization that tolerates such dishonorable behavior as this in its titular leader.

Msgr. Williamson may well have been wrong, and I believe him to have been so in the matter of the interview, but so crude and openly disloyal a manner of casting him overboard ill befits the would-be leader of a Traditional Catholic organization. Msgr. Fellay should publically apologize to the CATHOLIC bishop he has insulted and belittled, and he should then RESIGN!

Enough is enough.
The_Editrix said…
It is a pity and a shame that the discussion, and not just here, is now moving in a direction that won't do any good in any way, namely whether Williamson was right in his Holocaust denial or not. I think the last thing about Holocaust denial has been said a long time ago. What should remain are the defense of the Pope in revoking Williamson's excommunication, the exposure of Catholic-bashers as hypocrites and -- specifically for us Germans -- becoming aware how hypocritical we are, getting all hot and bothered about the Pope when we don't mind the scum raiding our streets shouting "Death to the Jews" and having the best of relations to all those Holocaust deniers in the Middle East.